January 1, 2012

Time to Alter Course

If our lives were a ship, this past week has been a lesson in the practice of changing direction or altering course.  We moved aside all other plans and began the journey into unknown territory.


Last Tuesday night our family came to the realization that Erik can no longer stay in his current group home; he has digressed beyond the type of care they are normally able to offer.   This news is difficult on many fronts, of course.  1)Erik loves where he lives and they love him so that's going to be hard.  2)Erik's sliding further and further into needing constant care, even for the simplest things, and we grieve that.  and 3) not knowing for sure what Erik's needs will be 3-6-9-12 months from now is frustrating.  I want to know exactly what he'll be facing because I like having a plan.


So step one of venturing into the unknown was to start visiting places close to us where Erik could live and be cared for well. We've seen several. This decision is, as I've heard so many say, difficult, emotional, overpowering and draining.  I'm usually fine whenever I'm making decisions for myself. But when you're responsible for someone else large decisions like this can feel so much heavier.  One thing I know, steering this ship cannot be done alone.  I'm so grateful to have the help of others throughout the search process.  His current group home is willing to work with him until we can find the perfect fit for him here in our area, which is a comfort.


All this leaves us with many questions, most with no answers yet.   But the destination right now is:  find a good place for Erik and move him sometime in the near future.   We are praying for the Lord's guidance and I know He will answer.  I would love your prayers for Erik.  


2012 will be an important year, I'm expecting, in our lives.   I confess, I'm feeling quite inadequate.  But I read recently that my emptiness and God's abundance are a perfect match. That the Prince of Peace longs to pour Himself into my neediness. Ok, Lord, start pouring, we need You!

1 comment:

  1. Liz ~

    We've been in a roughly similar situation regarding my granddaddy's end-of-life care. You are right, it is truly "difficult, emotional, overpowering and draining."

    We are praying for you.

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete